Wednesday 10 February 2016

The impact of smartphones



In my twenty one years of life, there has been many an invention, constantly changing our way of life. Loose, high rise bell bottoms turned into pencil cut jeans. Internet that could only function as an alternative to using the phone turned into one that could be used on multiple phones at the same time, without even a cable. Orkut came up, and Facebook took over. TVs turned from huge bulky boxes to sleek LCDs. Bulky desktop computers turned into heavy portable laptops, and then into handy tablets. But I think that the one invention that has had a significant visible impact on us is the smartphone. The smartphone is a TV, a computer, a novel, a dictionary, an encyclopaedia, a mall, a camera, a camcorder, a newspaper, and of course,  telephone, all in one.

There's nearly nothing I can't do with it. I find it much more comfortable to watch movies on my phone than on my TV, because it's so much more personal and easy to control. Also it's very portable - it's something you needn't remember to pack separately when you go on a trip!

My smart phone serves as a much better computer than my actual desktop, for most purposes, because it's so much handier. I don't need to walk all the way to it, or spend an entire minute waiting for the computer to start up for a ten second job, like checking my mail. In my smartphone, I'm always logged in! It'll let me know when there's mail.

It's also a better, less space occupying version of a book. And like I've already said, there's no question of forgetting my book at home if it's on my smartphone; it's always with me! It's a better dictionary than the conventional paper ones, too, since I don't literally "look it up" as much as the phone does it for me.

I'm not much of a newspaper reader, but ever since I've gotten a smart phone, all I've had to do is download an app, and voilĂ ! The app sends me notifications whenever something important happens, and I'm always up to date with the world. And it happens so unconsciously and effortlessly.

Curiosity is much better rewarded with a smartphone, since all the answers are literally in your hand; all you need to do is ask! Google has the answers to everything. Gone are the days where kids have to ask their parents all their queries about the world, and the days when parents have to admit that they sometimes don't know.

One of my personal favourite pastimes with my smart phone is online shopping, and it amazes me how easily I can compare prices from different sellers on different websites and not have to pay even a single extra penny.

I'm sure everyone would agree with me when I say that the entry of smartphones into the world has really impacted our lives!


This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment